Monday, September 21, 2009

New York Fashion week....

An overview of the NYFW, with comments by moi!
The good the bad and the ugly...
All photo's are from Style.com

Alexander wang:

I feel like this collection is more"designed" then his last. That had more of a NY party girl feel to it. I love his spring 2010 collection. You can still see the inspiration taken from the New York "out on the town" girl but less literally.
He took that concept and this time showed us more of his design vision, instead of following the street look. He's taking a little bit more of a risk.
Cool 90's inspired silhouette's, baggy trousers and cropped shirts. I love it and it reminds me of my "alternative" teens. He uses sporty influences, the sports underwear, fleece material but in such an excellent and sophisticated way that it totally transforms the perception of those everyday items.
I do think that Alex Wang is absolutely in growth, and that his future collections will be even stronger. Cant wait!







Threeasfour:
Again cut outs with mesh... I'm not so impressed with the NY'ers. Everybody seems to be on the exact same tip.
Stripper heel inspired shoes. All right but not amazing. A lot of design students use stripper heels in their show and tweak them to fit their collection. That's what this reminds me of.
The 3d ruffles are nicely done and I like the way they come back in the trousers and blazers. Not bad.






Rodarte:

Has such an unique signature, with their come undone woven knit wear. I really love their aesthetics. This season was a tribal warrior princes. With the tribal indigenous inspired arm paintings. The styling was cool. Collection was beautiful!












Matthew Ames:
I'm a big fan of matthew Ames so I was excited to see what he would conjure this season!
His colorful minimalistic looks where perfectly executed.It did remind me of Jil Sander a few seasons ago.And I could definitely see he was inspired by Halston. Overall Wearable and chic.






Marc jacobs:
It took me a minute to really appreciate/ understand the collection.
He really knows how to push the boundaries of beauty.I absolutely admire Marc! He is a true talent! How many people can make you appreciate something that is in it's nature so ugly!
I guess what I like most of this collection is the nostalgia. The Pierrot's from the late 1970, ruffles and yes again the pastels that are seen in almost every collection this season.
He did it again!


















Micheal Kors:
I like the metallic pastels. More of the same from almost every designer this season in New York. Pastels, natural fabrics, wrinkles, clean cuts, Faded prints, Cut outs, drappings.... Not bad, but not surprising.






Herve leger:
You now what to expect. Garments that curves love!
The wow factor though in this seasons collection was the use of denim! Super cool! Love it! The faded prints give the super sexy dresses something soft and yet rock 'n roll for a balanced look.







Diane von furstenberg:

What a Horror! I felt like I was stuck in a bad trip back in 1970!
The styling was really off. I hated the bracelets.The looks made the models look fat! So go figure what it will do for us!






Donna Karan:
Lovely collection.Simplistic beautiful body loving silhouettes.
As seen in the CK collection loads of "natural" looking materials. And like most of the NY designers the color pallet is grays, pastel peach and turquoise, nude's and red.










Derek Lam:
Did a good job at balancing the commercial with a fun beautiful young collection. The use of color and simple but flattering cuts really work.





Cushnie et ochs:
Clean,Minimalistic. The cut out theme from the previous collection was a recurring main player in this one as well. They do that well. The peach color numbers and the one's with prints are obviously not their strongest. Overall I was missing the element of surprise.





Calvin klein:
Simplist, clean, etherial. The textile's are full of "natural" textures.Reminds me of japanese design in the 80's. The whole go green feeling. Super stylish tree huggers.





Charlotte Ronson:
What girls want. Dancer goes Mad Max. But still cute. Wearable.Like!






Anna Sui:
Preppy , Folksy prints, 60's mod silhouettes and this all mixed up in one big patchwork jamboree.
Totally not my taste!
But it probably makes a lot of middle aged suburban mom's smile!






Alexander Herchovitch:

I'll keep it short and sweet. Wasn't a fan of the collection.
Can expect better from a 2nd year student.
Bozo the clown got trampled on the football field.




No comments:

Post a Comment